FEMA IS PROVIDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR ELIGIBLE COVID-19-RELATED FUNERAL EXPENSES
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
Eligible expenses must be for funeral expenses incurred after Jan. 20, 2020, for individuals who died because of COVID-19 in the United States, its territories or the District of Columbia. Currently, there is no application deadline.
Assistance is available to U.S. citizens, non-citizen nationals or qualified aliens, such as green card holders, asylees, and refugees. A deceased individual does not need to be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
HOW TO APPLY
Eligible applicants may apply by calling the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline at 844-684-6333 or TTY: 800-462-7585 toll free, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. Multilingual services are available on the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline.
Once an individual applies for assistance, FEMA will send a letter explaining the documents required to process the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance application.
These documents include:
- A copy of the death certificate indicating the death “may have been caused by” or “was likely the result of” COVID-19 or COVID-19-like symptoms.
- Proof of funeral expenses needs to include the applicant’s name as the individual who incurred the funeral expenses.
- The deceased individual’s name.
- The date and amount of funeral expenses incurred.
- Documentation of funeral assistance received from any other source.
HOW FUNDS ARE RECEIVED
If you are eligible for funeral assistance you will receive a check by mail or funds by direct deposit, depending on which option you choose when you apply for assistance.
WHAT EXPENSES WILL QUALIFY FOR REIMBURSEMENT
Examples of eligible expenses for funeral services and interment or cremation may include, but not limited to:
- Transportation for up to two people to identify the deceased individual
- The transfer of remains, a casket or urn
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The arrangement of a funeral ceremony
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
- Costs associated with producing multiple death certificates
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can visit FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq for more information, which is provided in several languages both by telephone and the website.